Chapter 57, Seaworthy

“I would like to introduce you to the new Mariners teacher,” Moshe Kotler the Vice Principal and our new class teacher said. “Zak. He is the former and director of the ‘Zevulun’ Youth Organization. He will teach you how sailors navigate and how to row boats. If you wish, you may join Zevulun and also learn to sail sailboats.”

This was very exciting, except for one or two boys we were all very happy. The girls had some other activity – something to do with home keeping, I think.

“I am not sure why the girls aren’t a part of this class,” said Zak, “my daughter is a very good sailor, but we would do the best of it.”

“When are we going to go on the boats?” asked Sha’ul Shriber.

“Next week.”

“What do we do in the winter when it rains?”

“Well, we will try to plan more indoor classes in the winter, but rain never stopped boats from sailing.”

“Nice!” 

The following week as soon as classes were over, we took a long walk to the “Zevulun” beach where the club was located. Zak showed us a few different boats and how to make a pole knot.


“See this boat? He pointed to a small boat hanging from the ceiling upside down. “this is a 420 sailboat. It is an Olympic sailboat. Next to it is a boat that looks the same but much bigger it is the flying dutchman.”

“Are we going to sail on those?” I asked.

“No, these are private boats. We will be sailing on this one first.” He pointed to a wooden boat with three rowers’ benches. “It is called Caravel. We will be using two of them. Later on, we will be using that one” Zak pointed at a much bigger boat with eight rowers’ benches. “This one is a Wailer. As you can see both of these boats have a divider in the center, it is for the keel. We insert it when we use a sail to keep the boat straight instead of drifting sideways.”

“Where is the sail?” asked Yaakov Bloom.

“See here on the wall we have the masts. We will used them in good time. Today we will learn how to set up the rowing oars. First, I would like you to check these metal forks they slide in the holes on top of the sides, next to the benches. The oar rest in the fork and this bump in the wood prevents it from sliding off.”

“Ouch!” we all turned to look at Yossi. We never understood how he always manages to get in trouble. He had his leg stuck inside the fork. It took Zak a few long minutes and some grease to help it slide off his leg.

A few weeks have passed, and we learned to row and sing the pace of the rowers and even the proper way to catch the waves back to the shore. The Caravel where Yossi was rowing took the wave at the wrong time and they were thrown over. Lucky for them they only got wet. 

After a while we had to learn to row the wailers’ boat. For that we had to take a bus to the Alexander River. Remember? The one where I found the little fish, long ago. Next to the Shark restaurant. Once we got there, we saw that the big boat was waiting for us ducked to the pier. 

Something about the water always get me excited. If I only knew how to swim, I would have probably love it even more. Unfortunately, I lost the chance for the swimming lessons during the Six Days War, when they canceled the pool classes. I knew how to thread water but that was it. Now with this new mariners’ class I had the opportunity to be around water even more. So, of course I was excited to be in the Alexander River, seeing the shark in the restaurant and the romantic dock with all the small rowboats.

We climbed into the wailer and took our seats on the benches. We all knew what to do even if we never really climbed on a wailer. We got the oars and placed them in the fork and extended them to the side of the boat. 

Zak was ready for us, sitting next to the rudder.

“Now, we will practice some turning without the use of the rudder.” He declared. “You know how to row while sitting with your back to the direction and pulling the oars as long as you can, together with everyone at the same direction.”

“Ay Sir!”

“You also know how to row forward, and the boat will go backward.”

“Ay Sir!”

“OK then, my left side row forward and my right-side row backward, go!” and sure enough the boat was turning in place.

“Now everyone, row backward, we will go up the river.” And so, we did. We rowed for an hour all the way pas the turtles bridge where we saw many turtles swimming under us. when it was time to get back, everyone was tired.

“I can’t go on,” said Yossi “I am too tired.”

“Me too,” Yaakov Bloom said.

“Me too,” Sha’ul Shriber said. In fact, everyone was tired and gave up on rowing.

“Hmm,” said Zak “I guess we will not go home tonight.” 

For some reason, I didn’t give up. Instead of rowing one oar, I took two oars, one on each hand and continued rowing. To my advantage, the river was flowing to the direction I was rowing. So, in less than ½ hour we made it and it was easy for me.

“You made it!” Exclaimed Zak “Look at them, they are all sleeping.”

“I can’t believe it.”

“Well, since you are the only one who stuck to the task, I am extending a complimentary Zevulun membership to you for the next 2 years, until you go to high school. See you on Saturday morning at the club we’ve got special training for you.” 

Special training was the best. I joined the big kids on the other wailer, and we pulled up two sails. We sailed north all the way to Michmoret, north of Alexander river. On the way back the sea was getting rough and most of the young sailors got seasick, yet I still was having fun.

One rainy day we were forced to have mariners’ class indoors, but as soon as we finished Zak came to me and asked if I could go with him to the club, there was an emergency.



The sea was very rough, it was cold outside, and the rain didn’t stop. We got out of his car and ran to the beach. The wailer was bouncing from side to side and slowly filling with rainwater. The older kids of the club were already there holding each other’s arms and forming a human chain from the beach toward the boat.

“You are the smallest one and we need to throw you into the boat. You will have to lift the anchor and throw us the line. We will do the rest.”

The waster was freezing cold. Everyone was pulling me from one to the other all the way to the boat. The last two people pushed me upward into the boat. I threw the line first toward the shore for the kids to hole and went to the anchor. It was difficult to pull the anchor, I was almost the same weight. Once I had it in the boat, I sat down shivering. While everyone was pulling the boat to the shore and pushing it to safety in the club.

On the way home I kept on shivering even with the thick towel Zak gave me.

“You were brave today, thank you!”

We walked to my house and at the door Zak again thanked me and told my parents how brave I was.

At the shower I experienced something very interesting. No matter how much I shut the hot water. The water was still too hot for me. My feet felt like I put them in boiling water. I had to sit in almost cold water for a long time until my body’s temperature was getting back to normal. I was a little sick for the next few days, but it was worth it.




Wild Rice Salad

 

  Wild rice is harder than most rice grains. It is longer and sometimes comes in different colors. It takes a little longer to cook and requires more water. Here is a simple healthy salad that can brighten up and party.

 

Ingredients:

1 Cup Wild Rice

3 Cups Water

2 Dry Dates

2 Dry Figs

2 Dry Apricots

1 slice Sweeten crystalized Ginger 

½ Cup Chopped Parsley

1 TBSP Olive Oil

1 tsp Salt

2 TBSP Lemon Juice

 

Preparation:

 Wash the rice well and sauté it in a dry pot until it dries. Add the water and ½ tsp salt, bring to boil, cover and lower the heat. Cook it until all the water is gone (you will see holes in the rice). Chop the dry fruit, mix with the rest of the salt, oil, and the rest of the ingredients. Let it sit for ½ hour and serve. 

 

 

------

 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 26, Chickens

Chapter 4, White Bottom

Chapter 106 (Rated R) Women, Women, Again