Chapter 19, Hairy Day

1962
"Tomorrow, children," Hagit, the first-grade teacher, said, "We will do some artwork. Bring some old magazines, a cup of flour in a paper bag, and pair of scissors."

      Finally, something interesting! I said to myself. You know, I didn't like this school. When I was in the kindergarten, we made things; we built with blocks, painted pictures, played with play dough, and did constructive projects. But that year was awful! All we did was copy from the board and recopy at home. When the teacher wrote on the board on the first day "Shalom, first grade" and asked us to copy it in our new half size notebooks, I tried, really, I tried. It took me half an hour to draw the first letter on half of the page. Then, before I had the chance to finish the second letter, the bell rang. The second period I usually spent bothering naive Yemima or Rina, Margarina, the big girl with the long braids. I remember when one Friday I had to stay after school with her to clean the classroom. I almost burned her braids with the Shabat candles. That was after I realized I couldn't set the blackboard on fire. Lucky for us the candles went out. 


Anyway, I asked Mom for some of her old French magazines and the scissors. 

"Be careful with them," she said. "Those are my only pair. I need them for sewing." Mom just bought a used – almost new Zinger sawing machine with the money she saved working with Dad.

"We will make ‘Happy New Year’ cards today, children." Hagit, the teacher, said. "Here you have blank cards. First, let's make glue by mixing flour with a little water. Be careful not to get dirty. Then I want you to cut small flower shapes from the magazines, and we will glue them onto the cards." 

And so, we did. I cut flowers, I cut cartoons, poppies, babies, I cut everything. I made thirty or more cards. Thank god, the bell rang. I didn't know if I could continue for one minute longer.

“Out you go!” Said the teacher as she walked out the door for her short break.

 "O.K. everybody," I announced, "Who wants a haircut?"

All the boys lined up in front of me, and while I stood on my chair, I started shearing everyone’s’ hair. Before the bell rang for the next period, I managed to snip all the boys' hair. I started to cut my own when I felt someone grabbing my arm. Hagit, the teacher, did not know what to say. She pulled me by the arm, turned me around, and spanked my behind. Well, this was nothing compared to what Dad did to me when he heard about it.

***

 

 

 

Brussels Sprout Salad

I don’t know many people who love brussels sprouts, they have a little bitter flavor resembling cabbage. Yet, they are very healthy, and I have many ways to make them tasty. Here’s one of them.

Ingredients:

- ½lb Brussels Sprouts

- ½lb Mustard Greens

- Bunch of Parsley 

- ½ tsp Sumac

- ½ Cup Lemon Juice

- 2 TBSP Olive Oil

- ¼ Pom grenade

- 1 tsp Salt

- ¼ cup Vinegar

- 1 TBSP Sugar (Optional)

Preparation:

Shred the Brussels sprouts and Mustard greens, mix in lemon, salt, and Vinegar, refrigerate overnight. I usually use a Ziplock bag to keep them in and let the air out.

Add the rest of ingredients before serving and mix well.

 

-----

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 26, Chickens

Chapter 106 (Rated R) Women, Women, Again

Chapter 13, Hepatitis